Blog Description

The Penny Pinch follows my journey to save money here and there. There will be posts about using coupons and my shopping trips with them, DIY products and projects, and any other money saving tips I discover. There is nothing wrong with trying to pinch a few pennies!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Crockpot Potato Soup



I have said it before and I will say it again, I love to cook in crock pots.  So simple, easy, great flavors, and just something comforting about it.  Fall is upon us and the cooler air is creeping in all around.  What better than a nice hearty potato soup to comfort you in a cool fall night.

Ingredients

Potatoes (Red or Yukon Gold)      3-4 Pounds, depending on your crock pot size
Onion                                         1, Medium/Small
Carrots                                        2-3, regular size
Celery                                         2-3, stalks
Ham Hock                                   1 (Can also just use ham, bacon, or other smoked pork)
Milk/Cream                                 1 Cup, more or less depending on how creamy you want it
Chicken Stock                              3-4 Cups
Salt, Pepper, Herbs of your choice



1.  Finely dice the carrots, celery, and onion.  Cube the potatoes.  I left the skin on because I like it and on red and gold potatoes it is fine.  I would not leave the skin on if you were using russet potatoes.



2. Place all ingredients, including the ham hock, into the crock pot.  Fill with chicken stock (water works as well, you just will have to season it a little more heavily later)  Add salt, pepper, and herbs. I used thyme and some chopped garlic.

3. Set crock pot on High for 4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours.

4. Once potatoes are cooked, add the milk or cream.  You can choose to mash it up with a masher for a more chunky style soup.  Or use an immersion blender and puree the soup.  Remember to remove the ham hock first!!  Get as much meat off the hock as you can and add it back in.  You can also scoop small amounts into a regular blender to puree, just remember hot liquid in blenders can be a MESS if you put too much in.

5.  Top the soup off with cheese, sour cream, chives, bacon, or any other topping you would like and enjoy! I had some spinach and Parmesan cheese in the fridge so I added that to mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment