Blog Description

The Penny Pinch follows my journey to save money here and there. There will be posts about using coupons and my shopping trips with them, DIY products and projects, and any other money saving tips I discover. There is nothing wrong with trying to pinch a few pennies!

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Easy Crock Pot Sloppy Joes


I have loved sloppy joes ever since I was a kid.  And yes I always had Mamwich because well it is THE sloppy joe mix.  However, as with most canned food there are more ingredients than really need to be in there.  So I decided to try out homemade sloppy joes and was pleasantly surprised at how easy and delicious they were.  I will not go back to canned anymore.  And I love crock pot meals, so this was a win-win.  This recipe made enough for about 12 nicely filled sandwiches, but could be stretched out more if needed.  Another bonus was I had everything I needed in my house already except for a pepper and the ground beef.  And the ingredient amounts I list are just what I started with.  I did adjust some of the seasonings as it cooked. I like ketchup so I did end up adding more as it cooked down.  Some other recipe variations I found included BBQ Sauce and even some oatmeal as a thickener.  However, I feel this recipe is the basic sloppy joe recipe with the classic taste we all know.

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes

2 Pounds, Ground Beef
1 1/2 Cups, Ketchup
1 Cup, Mustard (I used spicy brown mustard because it's what was in the fridge)
1/4 Cup, Brown Sugar
1 Each, Onion
1 Each, Green Pepper
Garlic (I used granulated, but you can use garlic powder or fresh as well)
Salt and Pepper
Water/Stock, as needed

1. Brown ground beef on stove top.  Season with salt and pepper. Drain excess fat off.


2. Place beef into crock pot.  Add chopped onion, green pepper, and garlic.


3. Add ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.


4.  Simmer on low heat for 5-6 hours, stirring and checking seasoning occasionally.  Add water or stock as needed if it becomes too thick, this will also help to create a nice "sloppy" sauce.  

Serve with any roll or bread of your choice.  And that's it! SUPER easy meal you can throw together in a pinch. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment