Blog Description

The Penny Pinch follows my journey to save money here and there. There will be posts about using coupons and my shopping trips with them, DIY products and projects, and any other money saving tips I discover. There is nothing wrong with trying to pinch a few pennies!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Patio Gardening Idea






I love to garden.  It is very fulfilling when you see something you planted grow and to be able to harvest it when it's ready.  However, living in apartments for years has prevented that from really being possible.  Florida has a hard climate to grow many things in.  However this patio I have now has just the right amount of sun and weather for gardening.  We have recently planted heirloom tomatoes, peppers, aloe, and a few other decoration type plants that have all done well so far.

I saw the idea online to use a closet shoe organizer to hang on a door or wall when space is an issue.  It has to be a sturdy canvas one to allow drainage and air to get to the plants.  Then simply fill with soil and seeds of your choice.  Make sure the hardware used to hang the organizer is sturdy and the door is able to close.  I had to bend my hooks to fit on this thicker style of metal door.  I have planted Basil, Parsley, Cilantro, and Leaf Lettuce.  I am eager to see how this works and will definitely post progress pictures on the blog as I go along.

Comment on your favorite things to plant and any other space saving tips you may have!

No comments:

Post a Comment