Blog Description

The Penny Pinch follows my journey to save money here and there. There will be posts about using coupons and my shopping trips with them, DIY products and projects, and any other money saving tips I discover. There is nothing wrong with trying to pinch a few pennies!

Saturday, January 12, 2013

DIY Instant Oatmeal


 

I love oatmeal for breakfast.  It's hearty but can also be made into so many flavors.  And like most people I buy the little instant oatmeal packets because it's just easier and faster in the morning.  However I also realize that they are just packet of oatmeal and assorted ingredients to flavor them.    So I thought I would give it a try to make my own and see if it would be cheaper as well.  I choose to make mine with some yummy additions but the possible combinations are endless and I urge you to get creative with whatever your taste buds want.

Packaged instant oatmeal averages $0.20-$0.25 a package.  With the ingredients I brought and using 3/4 cup as a serving size my recipe came out to $0.35 a package.  So not necessarily cheaper.  But I also now have leftover ingredients to make it again which will make it cheaper in the long run.  Plus I also know what is in my oatmeal and there are no fillers or artificial ingredients. I made enough for 12, 1/2 cup servings, but you can of course make any size batch you want.

DIY Instant Oatmeal

5 Cups       Quick Oats (You can use half quick oats and half regular oats if you want)

1 Cup        Brown Sugar

1 tsp.         Cinnamon, or Apple Pie Spice

1 tsp.         Salt

3 Pkgs.     Nut Trail Mix (I used Planter's mix with almond, cranberries, and golden raisins)


1.) Reserve 1 Cup of Oats.  Using a blender or food processor, grind the oats gently.  You don't want a fine powder but it should be semi-ground.  This will help to add body to your oatmeal without the use of artificial powdered milk that is in some brands.



2.) In a large bowl mix the oats, and all other ingredients together.  And you are done!  It's that easy!





3.) Put it into whatever container you choose.  It should keep for 3-4 weeks, but more than likely you will eat it before then.  Just make sure not to make a larger batch than you will eat in that time.


* For preparation place 1/2 cup of the oat mixture into a bowl.  Add 1/2-3/4 cup of water and microwave for 1-2 minutes.  The amount of water will depend on how you like your oatmeal.  I like mine more on the thick side so I use 1/2 cup.

Have a great breakfast and remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment