Blog Description

The Penny Pinch follows my journey to save money here and there. There will be posts about using coupons and my shopping trips with them, DIY products and projects, and any other money saving tips I discover. There is nothing wrong with trying to pinch a few pennies!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Crock Pot Bean & Ham Soup...$6

I love bean soup.  The smoky ham flavor, the saltiness, and the richness.  So I was happy to come across a really easy recipe that only cost $6 to make!



First chop one onion. I also had some carrots in the fridge so chopped those up as well.  Now if you have or want celery you can also do that as well.  The traditional soup starter is onions, carrots, and celery.  I did not have any celery so skipped it this time.  Place chopped veggies in crock pot. 

Add two ham shanks/hocks.

Add one bag of Great Northern beans or the beans of your choice.



Add 48oz of chicken, or the stock of your choice, to the pot.  I chose the low sodium stock because of the saltiness already in the ham.  You can also add more stock if you want to fill the pot up more or have a larger crock pot.

Simmer on low for 6-8 hours or until beans are cooked.  Your house will smell amazing as the delicious ham shanks cook down.  I then added salt, pepper, and chopped rosemary from my garden.





Remove the ham shanks and discard the bones.  Chop or pull apart the meat and add back to the pot.




Then I like my soup to have a little more body to it, so I pureed some of it.  I took my Pampered Chef Manual Food Processor and pureed about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of the soup and pour back in. 


And there you have it.  A cheap and easy meal with little effort.  Serve with a side of some nice crusty bread or fluffy biscuits and you are ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment